When a child gets sick everything in life gets put into perspective. When a child is hospitalised all other concerns disappear.
Portlaw cyclist Dermot Cullen and his wife Louise found themselves in that situation when their daughter Layla needed to be hospitalised in Crumlin children’s hospital a while back. Thankfully Layla made a good recovery but during that time Dermot and Louise met another mother, Carol Gorey from Kilkenny.
Carol had a daughter called Holly who very sadly passed away in February 2014. She was only five years old.
Carol had a good friend, Lynda Redmond who had a daughter called Roisín. At the very tender age of just two and a half Roisín passed away also in December 2014.
Out of extreme tragedy, sometimes comes extreme strength and the two young mothers decided to try to help other parents who suffered the worst loss possible. They founded an organisation called Fairy Footprints which helps families of children who pass on much too soon by providing a Memory box which contains the following items :
– Memory Book: this can be personalised with handprints, footprints, photos, lock of hair, personal recollections.
– Teddy for comfort
– Candle for light in dark moments
– Stained Glass Butterfly which expresses the delicacy of light and life
– Rose Quartz Crystal for healing in a time of grief
– Forget-Me-Not Seeds which represent new growth and new life
– Handkerchiefs, whose very ordinariness connect us with a child’s physical needs
– Information Pack: including a Support Book, offering advice and contact information.
As this organisation is fully dependant upon charitable donations Dermot felt compelled to help out in some way. Along with a local team of fundraisers a charity cycling challenge has been organised.
Today the cycle was launched, and on June 10th Dermot and 9 other local cyclists will cycle from Ronald McDonald house in Crumlin to Portlaw with the purpose of raising funds for Fairy Footprints and The Ronald McDonald House where families of sick children are accommodated.
This will be followed by a fundraising evening in The Clodagh Lounge where there will be a Barbeque and live music.
If you would like to donate to this very worthy cause and challenge you can do so here : https://www.ifundraise.ie/fundraiser/11364475_sponsored-cycle.html
If you would like to find out more about Fairy Footprints you can do so here : https://www.facebook.com/Fairy-Footprints-434628773405694/
Best of luck to all involved.